The Add Goals Indicator setting adds a new column between the category names and the Budgeted column. If the category has a goal, a letter indicates which type of goal has been set.
The key for this setting is:
- M for Monthly Savings Builder targets
- D for Savings Balance targets – by date,
- T if it’s a Savings Balance target without a date
- MD indicates Monthly Debt Payment targets
- U is an add-on indicator that signifies the category has an upcoming scheduled transaction
I’m unable to assess the value this Toolkit setting in any meaningful way because I have serious issues the design and implementation of YNAB’s targets/goals. Targets/Goals could be an incredibly valuable addition to the You Need A Budget software but as it stands YNAB’s design choices fly in the face of basic design practices and violate what we know about behavior change and basic human psychology.